As a foreign national, your driving license (either for car or motorbike) from your home country, is not recognized as such in Vietnam. The international driving license is also not recognized. The procedure to get a Vietnamese driving license is tedious and can take months.
As a result, you will have to resort to the services of a local driver. Only expats residing in Vietnam and foreign nationals present in Vietnam for professional missions exceeding 6 months are allowed to drive in Vietnam, and only after following the procedure to convert their original driving license into a local driving license.
Hence, if you want to drive, you will have to make sure that you are legally entitled to drive, which means that you must meet the criteria outlined above.
Traffic in Vietnam
At first glance, the traffic in Vietnam may seem unorganized and dangerous, with hundreds of bikes rolling in all directions, buses and cars powering their way, and cyclists riding in numbers. Vietnamese people have no trouble getting around this clutter, being accustomed to local traffic, but it can be disconcerting for tourists.
It’s also one of the main reasons why you will be driven in cars or buses by experienced local drivers.
Cars & Buses in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos
All vehicles are in perfect technical condition, in order to make your travel a pleasant and comfortable one. Below, you will find our suggestions for different types of cars with local drivers, depending on your needs and on the number of individuals in your group.
- For groups of 2 to 3 persons: sturdy cars with 4/7 seats (Toyota Vios, Toyota Corrola Altis, Ford Everest…)
- For groups of 4 to 7 persons: 16-seat coaches (Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter, Toyota Hiace)
- For groups of 8 to 14 persons: 25-seat coaches (Hyundai County)
- For groups of 15 to 19 persons: 35-seat buses (Hyundai Aero Town)
- For groups of 20 to 36 persons: 45-seat buses (Hyundai Aero Space)
- For groups of 37 to 43 persons: 45-seat buses (Hyundai Universe)
Please find a recap in the table below:
Group of 2 – 3 pax
|Group of 4 – 7 pax||Group of 8 – 12 pax||Group of 13 – 17 pax||Group of 18 – 35 pax||Group of 36 – 43 pax|
4-seat or 7-seat car
|16-seat coach||25-seat coach||35-seat bus (without luggage hold)||45-seat bus (2002-2006- Aero Space or Huyndai)||45-seat bus (Hyundai Universe)|
In Vietnam, the maximum allowed number of passengers is 44 per bus; in Cambodia it is 40, while in Laos it is limited to 34 passengers per bus.
Depending on the driving itinerary (urban traffic, countryside roads, mountain roads, etc.), we will recommend you the best suited alternative.
Terms & Rental Rates
Several conditions and rules apply when you use our services in order to rent a car with a local driver:
- The rental price includes a mileage limit that varies depending on your destination. In order for us to give you a quote with prices and mileage limits, we will need your itinerary.
- Passengers must show good conduct when inside the vehicle: they should not interfere with the driver while he is driving, they have to avoid making too much noise onboard, be careful when eating and drinking, and avoid damaging the equipment inside the bus/car.
- Passengers shouldn’t ask the driver to modify the itinerary without prior notification sent to us: the driver has to follow the itinerary that you previously communicated to us.
Below, you will find a price grid for the major destinations (in USD):
| Duration || 4-seat vehicle || 16-seat vehicle || 25-seat vehicle || 35-seat vehicle || 45-seat vehicle |
Hanoi – Noi Bai Airport
Hanoi – City Tour
Hanoi – Ha Long – Hanoi
Hanoi – Ha Long – Hanoi
Hanoi – Ninh Binh – Hanoi
Hanoi – Hoa Binh – Hanoi
Hanoi – Mai Chau – Hanoi
|2 days||$115||$155||$185||$205||Not recommended|
Hanoi – Perfume Pagoda – Hanoi
Hue Airport – City Center
Da Nang Airport – Hoi An
The prices listed above includes car rental with a driver, fuel and toll fees.
Do not hesitate to contact us in order to get more information about our car rental service.